Parent Teacher Organization (PTO)
Our Vision and Mission
SES PTO strives to be a self-sustaining organization capable of providing resources needed to help Shepherd Elementary School achieve its social, cultural and academic goals, and to become a top 5 school within DCPS by providing programs, resources, and activities that will enhance the instructional experience and promote academic excellence.
The SES PTO is organized for the purpose of enriching the school experience for all students of Shepherd Elementary School by conducting activities and raising funds to:
- Provide support and resources for the benefit and educational growth of children attending Shepherd Elementary School;
- Promote family and community engagement;
- Develop parent leadership and build capacity for greater involvement and participation in the school, including opportunities to participate in school governance and decisionmaking;
- Engage the Shepherd community in united effort to secure the physical, mental, emotional, and social well-being of all students; and
- Facilitate communication and collaboration among the school, school district, families and the community at large.
What We Do...
Supported by the active participation of many Shepherd families, teachers and community members, the SES PTO:
- Provides timely communications to the school community;
- Raises funds to support programs and events not covered by the DCPS budget;
- Advocates for DCPS support for Shepherd programs;
- Invests in school infrastructure by funding and contributing time to facilities improvement initiatives;
- Serves as a resource for current and prospective parents; and
- Engages parents in volunteer and social activities throughout the school year.
A summary of PTO fund utilization as a function of overall expenditures in SY2020-21 is summarized below. The budget for the current school year will be available following its approval at the first general membership meeting of SY2021-22.
- Instructional expenses and supplies (63%)
- Hospitality, Events and Staff Appreciation (20%)
- General & Administrative Costs (17%)
PTO Executive Board and Committees
Between meetings, the PTO is overseen by the Executive Board, made up of the PTO's officers as elected by the membership each spring. You can view the official bylaws for our PTO here.
The current PTO officers for the 2021-22 school year are:
Co-President — Taryn Losch-Beridon
Co-President — Derek Musgrove
Vice President — Sara Faulman
Treasurer — Andrea Smith
Assistant Treasurer — Alexis Hill White
Recording Secretary — Ayana McIntosh
Corresponding Secretary — Liz Bradley
Chair: Siri Warkentien
This committee oversees various fundraising activities such as Fall Fest, the Annual Spring Gala and Auction, Restaurant Nights, family photo sessions, holiday wreath/decoration sales, and the sale of specialty merchandise (e.g., Shepherd gear sales). This committee also oversees grant-writing initiatives, the “Shopping for Shepherd” affiliate program (e.g., AmazonSmile, Boxtops, eScrip, Shutterfly, etc.), and the 180 Fund.
- General PTO Corresponce should be directed to [email protected]
- Items for the weekly PTO Bulletin should be sent to [email protected]
- Requests for reimbursement from PTO and other related questions regarding PTO financials should be directed to [email protected]
- Select Committee email addresses:
- ...and follow us on Instagram!