Shepherd students participate inquiry-based Social Studies instruction throughout the school year focusing on civics, economics, geography and history according to the following themes:
- Grade K: Living, Learning, and Working Together
- Grade 1: True Stories and Folktales from America and around the World
- Grade 2: Living, Learning, and Working Now and Long Ago
- Grade 3: Geography and History of the District of Columbia
- Grade 4: US History and Geography: Making a New Nation
- Grade 5: US History and Geography: Westward Expansion to the Present
Students will engage, explore, explain, elaborate and evaluate learning through compelling questions and performance tasks.