Hello Shepherd Parents and Families,
We are less than a week from the first day of school now and I know many of us are getting nervous, anxious and excited all at the same time.
Class assignments should be rolling out from Dr. Hedlund by mid-day tomorrow (Wed, Aug 26) and teachers will be doing class huddles virtually on Thursday and Friday this week. Just a reminder to come with grace and patience these first few weeks – this is all new to everyone (teachers, staff, students and parents) and it will take a bit of time to get everyone online, in a routine, and back working together. We’ll get it figured out. A HUGE SHOUT OUT to all our teachers and staff who have been working HARD this week!
We HIGHLY recommend listening to some of the previous and upcoming Parent University sessions – links to previous sessions below to help understand Canvas (the new learning platform), the new class schedules, how to support your Pre-K student, etc.
DCPS PARENT UNIVERSITY SESSIONS
Here are a few links to previous Parent University sessions:
SIGN UP FOR THE PTA EMAIL LIST – AtoZ CONNECT
To make sure all parents and caregivers are receiving ALL emails from the school and from DCPS, sign up for the PTA email list. We send out every email from Dr. Hedlund, the Chancellor, DCPS updates, and send our own PTA email updates every week. We’ll also be using the email list to vote for PTA and LSAT elections and other votes we’ll need to do this year. Only those family members in the AtoZ Connect will be able to vote.
ROOM PARENT COORDINATOR AND ROOM PARENTS NEEDED!
We’re looking to support our classes with a few room parents for each class to help us this year as we re-imagine getting to know each other, building community and fundraising! Some of the typical room parent duties that still may apply include:
- Reaching out to all classroom families to welcome them to the class and encourage interaction.
- Coordinating a virtual Classroom Social Event in the Fall – ideally before the end of October. We usually have Fall Fest to help do this, but this year we won’t get to do this fun community building event. This year, it could be a virtual happy hour, virtual small group meetings or a virtual game night.
- Coordinating virtual social activities for the kids as well, like lunch and recess online play groups.
- Communicating with parents about the PTA, meetings, updates and events.
- Supporting your teacher by providing assistance with the class site or other teacher needs.
- Receiving emails from Room Parent Coordinators about upcoming events/activities and making sure these messages are communicated to everyone in your class via your class platforms.
- Forwarding notifications to your class about PTA General Meetings. (This is important especially when meetings occur where there is a vote.)
If interested in being a Room Parent or Coordinator, email [email protected].
LOOKING FOR DC HEALTH AND DENTAL FORMS?
LOOKING FOR SUPPLY LISTS AND TECH REQUIREMENTS?
Check out our site for the lists!