KEEP INFORMED – DCPS CORONAVIRUS RESPONSE
The situation is certainly fluid and changing every day. Keep updated on the latest from DCPS at https://dcps.dc.gov/coronavirus. We will also share the Chancellor’s updates via the PTA Wednesday email, Dr. Hedlund’s Friday email, and the Shepherd Facebook page as well.
NO SCHOOL DAY – Monday, March 16th
There is a no school day on Monday, March 16th, but Shepherd’s Star Achievers will be open! Please see the following link to register your student: https://www.sesstarachievers.com/.
SHEPHERD ELEMENTARY READ-A-THON
Shepherd students have been encouraged to participate in the Read to Feed Read-A-Thon which is a reading incentive and fundraising program for children that supports Heifer International. Participants obtain sponsorships from parents, friends and relatives based on the number of books (or units of time) they read. For more information, see: https://fundraise.heifer.org/fundraiser/2590607.
DCPS SCHOOL CALENDARS RELEASED
DCPS has released the school calendars for the next THREE school years! Check them out here! https://dcps.dc.gov/node/1462066
TOILETRY DRIVE FOR WOMEN’S HISTORY MONTH
Mrs. McIntyre is leading a toiletry drive in honor of Women’s History Month from March 1-31. Items will benefit DASH — District Alliance for Safe Housing. Drop off boxes near Mrs. McIntyre’s classroom or in the Atrium.
PTA HEALTH AND WELLNESS FAIR – Friday, March 27th
Back by popular demand, come visit the Health and Wellness Fair from 3:30-6:30 pm on Friday, March 27. Come talk with doctors, nurses and personal trainers, see dance and karate demonstrations, taste healthy snacks and be a part of raffles and giveaways! FREE activities and demonstrations; all are welcome to participate.
ALADDIN JR THE MUSICAL – APRIL 3rd and 4th
Come see your Shepherd students in the Musical! Performances will be the evening of Friday, April 3rd and a matinee on Saturday, April 4th.
We need parents to help with stage makeup, helping students with costumes, set design and lighting, etc. If you can help, contact Ms. Pereria – [email protected]
SHEPHERD GALA AND AUCTION UPDATE
As with all things right now, we are closely monitoring the news and guidance from DCPS re: school events. Even if we are advised to not hold an in-person event, we’re making contingency plans to do a fun, interactive online auction. Stay tuned as we keep everyone updated and THANKS FOR YOUR SUPPORT!
In the meantime, please still help us by…
- Assisting your classroom parent(s) and contribute to classroom project and basket donations – information from your classroom parent should have been sent to you (if not, feel free to follow up with Room Parent Coordinator, Yolanda Grate at [email protected]);
- Providing or soliciting donations of goods or services for the auction; if you have an item to donate or know a business owner you would like to solicit directly for event sponsorship or donation, please complete the donation form here: https://forms.gle/LET91EDuqA81cLuB7;
- Supporting the Gala as an official sponsor – parents can be sponsors too! Rewards and recognition for various VIP ticketed sponsor levels are on our auction website – https://www.shepherd-elementary.org/16th-annual-spring-gala-auction/.
May 16-17 – SHEPHERD FAMILY CAMPING TRIP
The Shepherd Park ES Camping Trip is coming up May 16-17 at Pohick Bay Regional Park in Lorton, VA. Make your reservation today as sites go fast in the spring.
To make a reservation go to https://www.reserveamerica.com/explore/pohick-bay-regional-park/NOVA/1020012/overview and enter May 16 for arrival day and May 17 for the departure day in the “Select dates” box. In the “Site type” box you can enter “tent” or “cabin” depending on your preference. Tent sites are $50 each and can hold up to 7 people and two cars. Cabins go for between $95 for a “rustic” and $160 for a “deluxe” per night. Each site consists of a parking pad, fire pit, and picnic table. All sites share a bathroom with outside sink for washing dishes and inside toilets, showers, and sinks.
We will be staying in the campground loop containing sites 001 through 074. This loop has a playground in the middle so that the kids can all gather and play with easy sight lines to the campsites. The Musgroves have already reserved sites 029 and 024, so try to get something close to us.
While folks are free to do as they please, we have created a rough schedule of activities for anyone who is interested. On Saturday we will gather at the playground at noon and head out for a hike. Following the hike the kids can play on the playground while parents prepare dinner at our respective campsites. After dark the Musgroves will have a big fire replete with s’mores for the kids and libations for the parents at site 024. On Sunday folks who want to get up slowly can do so before heading home. We will organize a hike for the early risers.
Reminder of Upcoming Dates:
- Monday, March 16th – Professional Development Day (NO SCHOOL; Star Achievers will be open)
- Wednesday, March 18th – LSAT and PTA meetings (4:30 pm and 6:30 pm)
- Friday, March 27th – Health/Wellness Fair – 3:30-6:30 pm
- Monday, April 13-Fri, April 17th – Spring Break
- Wednesday, April 22nd – LSAT and PTA meetings (4:30 pm and 6:30 pm)
- Saturday, April 25th – Shepherd Gala and Auction
- May 4-8th – Teacher Appreciation Week
- Thursday, May 21st – International Day