REMINDER – Teacher Appreciation Week is next week – May 3-7. Show the Shepherd teachers and staff some love for all they’ve done during this super challenging school year!
SHEPHERD YEARBOOK UPDATES – need pics uploaded by May 1
It’s been a unique year, and we have overcome many obstacles. Let’s celebrate all that your children have, and will, accomplish by working together to create a fabulous yearbook. All families should follow the steps below to be included in the yearbook:
- Become a member of TreeRing.
- If you ordered a yearbook in the past, click hereLinks to an external site. to log-in to TreeRing.
- If you are new to TreeRing, click hereLinks to an external site. to set up an account. You will need the school’s passcode: 1013930010262632
- At the time you become a member, you will be given the option to purchase a yearbook. Please note you can upload photos even if you do not purchase a yearbook.
- Upload a portrait of your child. Click hereLinks to an external site. for directions.
- You are welcome to contribute to as many or few of the categories below. Please note that each category has a different e-mail address because the pictures are being sent to different folders. Please make sure that your child’s face is visible in all submissions.
- Learning from Home – These pictures should include students engaged in learning at home. E-mail these submissions to: [email protected]
- Family Time – This year families have spent a lot of time working and learning together. Send in a picture of your family. E-mail these submissions to: [email protected]
- Outdoor Fun – Take pictures of your student enjoying nature or just having fun playing outside. Email these submissions to: [email protected]
- Me and My Pet(s) – Pets have really been our best friend during our time in quarantine. Take a picture with your pet(s). Email these submissions to: [email protected]
- Earth Day Activities – Chose an activity to do to celebrate Earth Day (April 22nd). Take pictures as you complete the activity or of the finished product. Click hereLinks to an external site. for some activity ideas. Email these submissions to: [email protected]
- All Students: Create your own, unique 2-page spread. If you are ordering a yearbook, you have the option to create a personal, 2-page spread that will only appear in your yearbook. The guide for this will appear at the time of purchase.
5. 5th Graders Only: Create a free, 1/8-page size ad for your child. This picture/ad will be your child’s main picture in the yearbook.Click hereLinks to an external site. for directions.
All pictures must be submitted on or before May 1, 2021. Contact TreeRing (1-650-319-7164) with questions regarding picture submission or technical issues.
Shepherd PTO Spring Fling “Shaken & Stirred” Cocktail Making Class – Thurs, May 13 at 8 pm
We will be mixing up two different cocktails — a Strawberry Smash and a Bees Knees — both of which are a perfect way to ease us into the warm weather. Each ticket purchase will gain the adults in your household access to the cocktail class which will be hosted virtually. In addition, we will offer cocktail kits that will give you everything you need to mix up two of each of these delicious cocktails. Should you choose to raid your home bar and provide your own ingredients, you will receive a “shopping list” prior to the event to make sure you have time to gather everything you need. Get your tickets here.
Foxhall and MacArthur Community Working Group Update – Shepherd Elem meeting on Mon, May 3 at 6 pm
DC Public Schools will meet with the Shepherd school community on Mon, May 3 at 6 pm to discuss the efforts of a community working group looking at two potential schools in the Wilson High School feeder pattern. All are welcome to attend, both to learn more and to offer their opinions. Join the meeting here.
Ward 3 EdNet meeting – Mon, May 10 at 7pm
The May meeting will include Council Chair Phil Mendelson. This is an opportunity to have a conversation with him about reopening schools, school budgets, overcrowding in Wilson feeder schools, school oversight and governance, and other education topics.
We will be taking questions from the chat during the meeting, but would welcome any questions that you would like to share with us ahead of time. Please send them to [email protected].
The registration link for the Zoom meeting is:
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting.
WE NEED YOUR HELP – PTO NOMINATING AND AUDIT COMMITTEES
We’ll be doing PTO Board nominations at the May PTO meeting and need 3-5 parents to volunteer to be on the nominating committee to hold the official elections. We’ll also need 3-5 parents to serve on the audit committee at the end of the year to close out our financial books. No one related to the current board can volunteer. If you’re interested in helping, please reach out to [email protected] by April 30.
COVID-19 VACCINATION UPDATE
This week the Mayor announced that UDC, at 4200 Connecticut Avenue NW, will be a walk-up vaccination site (no appointment needed). It will open starting this Saturday, May 1st, and the exact schedule will be listed at https://vaccinefinder.org
Ward 4 Book Drive with Frazier O’Leary
Last year, we were able to distribute over 20,000 books to schools in Ward 4 because of the generosity of our community. The drive continues but, after this weekend, we are out of books. Please contact me at [email protected] or 202-236-2184 if you have any to donate and so that we can arrange a pickup or dropoff. We are focused on elementary schools, but don’t turn any books away.
Upcoming Important Dates:
May 3-7 – Teacher Appreciation Week
May 3 – DCPS Foxhall/MacArthur School Community Update Meeting – 6 pm
May 10 – Ward 3 EdNet meeting – 7 pm
May 13 – “Spring Fling” ADULT cocktail-making class – 8 pm
May 19 – Shepherd PTO meeting and ELECTIONS – 6:30 pm
May 31 – Memorial Day Holiday
June TBD – 5th Grade Graduation
June 24 – last day of school