We had a great week here at Shepherd! Teachers arrived on Monday, and we spent time reviewing data, setting goals, learning together, setting up our classrooms and simply getting to know one another. Many of you were here for our Open House, and it was a great opportunity for children to reunite and meet their teachers. Thank you to all who were in attendance, and thank you to the PTA for dinner on Thursday for the Open House and lunch on Friday. Both are greatly appreciated!
Monday is the first day of school for grade K-5, and we are so excited to greet your children and begin their best school year yet. To ensure it is a smooth start this week, please keep the following in mind:
- Doors open at 8:20, and all students should be at Shepherd no later than 8:40.
- PK and K students enter through our main entrance. Parents should walk them to their classrooms. I know that it is hard to say goodbye, but try to make your classroom visit as brief as possible. It is actually easier for them to transition to school that way.
- All DCPS children receive breakfast at no cost. If your child will eat breakfast, please escort them to the cafeteria and stay with them until they are done eating.
- First through 3rdgrade students enter through the main entrance and report to the multi-purpose room.
- Fourth and 5thgraders report to the field at the Kalmia entrance except in inclement weather (rain, hail, sleet, snow, and temperatures below 32 degrees)
We updated our dismissal form to gather more student information. Please use this link to indicate your dismissal preferences for your child/ren. We need all families to provide this information as soon as possible to ensure a smooth and safe dismissal after school.
This year, we will add Pre-Kindergarten and Kindergarten students to carpool. All carpool students will be brought to the multi-purpose room and dismissed to our 14th Street exit. There will be adults along their route to help them get to you. We are requesting this information so teachers will know how students will dismiss. We will also create signs for your dashboard to make our carpool line as efficient and orderly as possible.
If you are a 5th grade parent and would like to grant permission for your student to walk home unescorted, please complete the form above, and you will also need to give additional permission and information using this Student Self-Dismissal form.
Thanks to all of you who came to our Beautification Day on Saturday!
See you on Monday!
Phyllis Hedlund, Ed.D.
We have a Shepherd staff member who is looking for a room to rent close to the school. Please contact me at [email protected] if you know of an opportunity.
Ms. Avani Mack is our new IB Coordinator. Ms. Mack comes to us from Truesdell where she taught English learners. She has implemented several internationally-focused programs and earned a Master’s in International Education from The George Washington University.
If you attended Shepherd Elementary and would like to be a special guest at an All-School Meeting, please let me know. Students will ask you some carefully vetted questions about your experiences at Shepherd and subsequently learn more about our rich history.