International Education Week – November 18th-22nd
Join Shepherd ES as we celebrate cultures from around the world! Eat delicious foods from Cameroon and the Philippines! Share a special object from your own culture with your classmates during morning meeting! Throughout the week, we will all learn more about what it means to be a global citizen.
• Monday – Mini Embassy Adoption Kick-Off Day
• Tuesday – DCPS International Food Day
• Wednesday – DCPS International Food Day
• Thursday – Share Your Culture Day
• Friday – Schools Around the World
Kindness Club Food Drive
The Kindness Club is holding a food drive for the Capital Area Food Bank. The food drive began last week and will run through Friday, November 22nd. The club is also collecting monetary donations for the food bank at the following link: https://giving.capitalareafoodbank.org/story/Kindnessclub.
Each classroom has a box or bin outside their door to accept donations. There will also be a box in the atrium for a central drop off point.
PTA Holiday Wreath Sale – on Sale Through Nov 26th
This year, the Shepherd ES PTA will be selling wreaths for the holiday season. We have partnered with Meadow Farm Nurseries to offer 20’ fresh Oregon fir wreaths to the Shepherd school community. All sale proceeds will go to the Shepherd ES PTA.
You can order a wreath at the school between 8-8:45 am in the atrium. You also can
place an in-person order on Friday, November 22nd at the aforementioned time, or
contact Alicia Williamson at [email protected] to place an order.
The wreaths are priced at $30 and will be available for pick up the first week of
December after returning from Thanksgiving break. Payment will be accepted in cash,
and via CashApp and Venmo.
No School, November 27h – Camp Option
Looking for something for your kids to do next Wednesday? Hooped Nation is holding
mini-camp sessions on Wednesday, November 27th. For more information,
You have until Saturday, November 30th to get your 5% discount on the Shepherd
Elementary School yearbook. See the following link to order: https://tr5.treering.com.
Shepherd Basketball Team Try Outs – Week of Dec
Please note that basketball try outs will take place after Thanksgiving Break during the
week of December 2nd.
Try outs for the girls’ team will be on Wednesday, December 4th from 3:30 to 4:30
pm. Boys’ try outs will be on Friday, December 6th from 3:30 to 4:30 pm. Try outs will
take place in the multi-purpose room on both days.
To try out, your child must complete the DCPS Consent for Athletic Participation (AT-
13) found here. FIlling out the form and attending try outs, however, does not
automatically guarantee a spot on the team. Go Mustangs!
Please contact Mr. Clayborn at [email protected] if you have specific
questions or concerns.
Breakfast for Shepherd Faculty and Staff – Hosted by
the Third Graders – Monday, December 2nd
The Parent Engagement Committee is starting a monthly breakfast to show gratitude for
the Shepherd ES teachers and staff who support our children every day. Below you will
find a sign-up link for the full year. Note – first up is third grade on December 2nd!
Each grade level will have a month and will bring in breakfast items for all teachers and
staff. There should be NO NUTS or NUT PRODUCTS brought into the school. Items
should be dropped off on the assigned date noted in the sign-up form between 7:30 am
and 8:00 am to the teachers’ resource room close to the PK3 hallway. If you have any
questions, please reach out to Lyly Yonkwa Rijmen at [email protected] Sign
up here: Shepherd Teacher/Staff Appreciation Breakfast.
Shepherd Bake Sale
We’ll also be hosting a bake sale on Friday, December 6th from 3:30-6:30 pm and will
be looking for donated baked goods (NO NUTS OR NUT PRODUCTS, PLEASE!) as
we aim to raise money to help our Shepherd community for the holidays.
We’re looking for cub/boy scout troops and daisy or brownie troops to help us
manage the sale. If your group is interested, please reach out to the PTA
at [email protected]
Local Information of Interest
Open Meetings Act Webinar – Wednesday, December 4th, time TBD
All About Feeder Patterns, Strands and Specialized Programs
• December 3rd at 6:00pm at Brookland MS
• December 10th at 6:00pm at Hart MS
RSVP here: bit.ly/dcpsparentu
DCPS Budget Forums
• December 10th from 6-8pm at Coolidge HS
• December 11th from 6-8pm at Ballou HS
Resources from the Last DC Public Schools Parent University
The following resources were shared with families who attended.
• Communicating with Your Child’s Teacher and School Workshop Packet (English)
• Parent Curriculum Guides (English) (Español)
• 5 Quick Tips to Communicate Effectively with Your Child’s Teacher or School (English)
• Parent Teacher Conference Tips (English) (Español)
• Strengths Challenges and Strategies Worksheet (English) (Español)
• Steps for Creating a Parent Organization
Other Upcoming Dates:
• Wednesday, November 20th – LSAT meeting (4:30 pm) and PTA meeting (6:30 pm)
• Through Friday, November 22nd – Kindness Club Food Drive
• Wednesday, Nov 27th – Friday, Nov 29th – NO SCHOOL (Thanksgiving break)
• Friday, Dec 6th – Annual Shepherd Bake Sale (3:30-6:30 pm)
• Monday, Dec 9th – Ward 3 Education Network Meeting at 7 pm
• Wednesday, Dec 18th – LSAT and PTA meetings (4:30 and 6:30 pm)
• Wednesday, Dec 18th – Teacher and Staff Holiday party – 3:45 pm
• Friday, Dec 20th – LAST DAY OF SCHOOL BEFORE WINTER BREAK
International Education Week – November 18th-22nd