LAST PTO MEETING OF THE SCHOOL YEAR – TONIGHT (Wed, May 19) at 6:30 PM
Join us here on TEAMS! Agenda will include a deep dive by Dr. Hedlund into the Panorama survey data, election info by the Nominating Committee, and plans for the rest of the school year.
Call for PTO Board and LSAT Representatives for Next School Year
It’s that time again…we are officially kicking off elections for SY2021-22! Many thanks to our volunteers on the Nominating Committee: Ana Ma, Autumn Jackson, and Kristin Harrison!
As was done for the last round of elections, this year’s elections will be held virtually via ElectionBuddy.com. If you’d like to put forward a nomination for one of the open positions/roles, please send these directly to the Election Committee by emailing [email protected]. The window for nominations will close at midnight on Friday, May 21st.
The PTO board member positions (1-year term) are as follows: Two (2) Co-President positions, Vice President, Recording Secretary, Corresponding Secretary, Treasurer and Assistant Treasurer. For more details on the specific responsibilities for each role, please see pages 3-4 of the PTO bylaws here. There will also be 4 slots for parent reps on Shepherd’s Local School Advisory Team (LSAT).
Voting will take place online between May 24th and June 1st. All those individuals with current email addresses listed in the PTO AtoZ Connect database on or before May 21st will be eligible to vote. If you are receiving these emails, you are registered already, but please help get the word out to other parents who may not be registered.
We are in enrollment season, and like last year, enrollment will happen online. Per Dr. Hedlund’s recent message, please take time to carefully review the proof of residency requirements before submitting documentation. If your documents do not meet the requirements, your child cannot be enrolled. OSSE is unyielding about this aspect of enrollment, and Shepherd will not receive funding for students who are not enrolled properly. Thank you so much for your attention to this matter.
Save the Date! Ms. Johnson’s Retirement Celebration “Drive By” – Fri, June 18th
As many of you know, our dear Ms. Johnson from PK3 is retiring at the end of this school year. We are currently planning a celebratory “drive by” for her that will take place from 4PM to 5PM on Friday, June 18th, at the school. Watch for more details to come in the next few weeks and, of course, if you’d like to contribute to the planning and/or set-up of the event, please let us know at [email protected].
YEARBOOK ADS – Fifth Grade Families
Can you believe how fast the year has flown by? There are only 6 weeks left in the school year. It’s been a unique year, and we have overcome so many obstacles. Let’s celebrate all that your children have, and will, accomplish by working together to create a fabulous yearbook. This year we are celebrating the 5th grade students by providing a free, 1/8-page size ad for each student. Please follow the steps below to be included in the yearbook:
- Become a member of TreeRing.
- If you ordered a yearbook in the past, click here to log-in to TreeRing.
- If you are new to TreeRing, click here to set up an account. You will need the school’s passcode: 1013930010262632
- At the time you become a member, you will be given the option to purchase a yearbook. Please note you can upload photos even if you do not purchase a yearbook.
- Create a free, 1/8-page size ad for your child. This picture/ad will be your child’s main picture in the yearbook. Click here for directions.
- Upload additional pictures. Families are welcome to contribute to as many or few of the categories below. Please note that each category has a different e-mail address because the pictures are being sent to different folders. Please make sure that your child’s face is visible in all submissions.
- Learning from Home – These pictures should include students engaged in learning at home. E-mail these submissions to: [email protected]
- Family Time – This year families have spent a lot of time working and learning together. Send in a picture of your family. E-mail these submissions to: [email protected]
- Outdoor Fun – Take pictures of your student enjoying nature or just having fun playing outside. Email these submissions to: [email protected]
- Me and My Pet(s) – Pets have really been our best friend during our time in quarantine. Take a picture with your pet(s). Email these submissions to: [email protected]
- Earth Day Activities – Chose an activity to do to celebrate Earth Day (April 22nd). Take pictures as you complete the activity or of the finished product. Click here for some activity ideas. Email these submissions to: [email protected]
- Create your own, unique 2-page spread. If you are ordering a yearbook, you have the option to create a personal, 2-page spread that will only appear in your yearbook. The guide for this will appear at the time of purchase.
SUPPORT DEAL MIDDLE SCHOOL’S PLAY!
Students at Deal will be performing “Pride and Prejudice” virtually starting June 4th through the 13th. We’ve heard we’ll spot a few Shepherd alum and Shepherd Park residents in the cast! Buy your tickets here!
SHEPHERD FIELD UPDATE
Now that all permit issues have been resolved, the DC Department of General Services (DGS), on behalf of the DC Department of Parks and Recreation (DPR), has hired a Contractor that will be replacing the field surfacing that scheduled to start on Monday, May 10th. We anticipate that the work will take approximately 30 days to complete, weather permitting. Please note that no Saturday work is currently scheduled to occur, however, if for some reason Saturday work is needed, we will provide as much notice as possible.
Also, please note that the Contractor will be using the Kalmia Road entrance to access the field during construction. The outdoor fitness area will be offline during the duration of the project for safety, however, the playground will remain open because of its proximity and accessibility to Jonquil Street. Additional fencing and netting will be erected between the construction areas and the playground for added security and safety.
Upcoming Important Dates:
May 19 – Shepherd PTO meeting – 6:30 pm
May 31 – Memorial Day Holiday
June 12 – Outdoor school photos
June TBD – 5th Grade Graduation
June 18 – Ms. Johnson’s Retirement Drive-by
June 24 – last day of school