Reminder: PTA Meeting – This Wednesday, October 16th, 6:30 pm, Multipurpose Room
- Dr. Hedlund remarks and questions
- IB Parent Academy with Ms. Mack
- Approval of Sept PTO meeting minutes
- PTO Budget update – field trips for PK3 and PK4, STEM materials for K-5 classes, IB training for new teachers, teacher wishlists, more Shepherd gear, etc.
- Fall Fest update
- 180 Fund focus for November
- Upcoming fundraisers – Blue 44, Holiday family photo shoot
- NEED: Committee to help with holiday greenery sale
Fall Fest Is Around the Corner!
It’s almost here…and the weather looks GREAT for this year’s Fall Fest!
So, get your tickets early so you don’t have to stand in the long line on Saturday! Those who buy tickets ahead of time will pick up tickets/packages at the event in the advance sales line.
And…we still need volunteers for shifts at the different stations! Give us at least 30 mins of your time for your class station.
During Fall Fest 2018, we raised more than $18,000 which helped fund a field trip for every grade, community events like Movie Night, Camp Fair and Jazz Night, and additional supplies and materials for our classroom teachers. Our goal is $20,000 this year!
We encourage you to purchase a Family Sponsor Package and your donation of $100 will include the following:
- 1 wrist band that includes UNLIMITED ACCESS to games, moon bounce, and rock wall!
- 25 tickets
- 4 beverage coupons
- Shepherd Elementary School water bottle
- 50% off any additional tickets purchased
You can only purchase the Family Sponsorship package prior to the event on Saturday! They will not be sold on the day of the event.
Lastly, a HUGE THANK YOU to our organizational sponsors for this year’s event:
The Parks at Walter Reed, Children’s National, Shepherd Park Citizens Association and MCN Build.
Bullying Prevention Spirit Week
This week is Bullying Prevention Spirit Week at Shepherd. Ms. Browne, Dr. Brown, and Ms. Rottman have been having rewarding conversations with students regarding what bullying is as well as what to do if they are being bullied or they see someone being bullied. In addition, we are encouraging students to dress up during the week to show that they are standing up against bullying. The list of themed days are as follows:
- Wednesday, October 16: Be a buddy, not a bully. Dress like your buddy!
- Thursday, October 17: Put a lid on bullying. Wear a hat!
- Friday, October 18: Bullying gives us the blues. Dress in blue, the official bullying prevention color!
Shepherd Elementary Book Fair
Shepherd will be hosting our Book Fair from October 15-19th in the school atrium. We need volunteers to help with sales at drop off and pick up!
The hours for the Book Fair are:
- Library Specials Time
- Arrivals: 8:20 – 8:45 am
- Dismissals: 3:15- 3:35 pm
- Late Night Before PTA Meeting (Wednesday, October16th): 3:30 – 6 pm
- Fall Festival (Saturday, October 19th) 12:30 – 3:30 pm
Shepherd Fall Family Photo Fundraiser
Join the Shepherd PTO to raise money for Shepherd and have beautiful family photos ready for your holiday cards and gifts! We are partnering with the AMAZING Katie Jett Walls for mini-sessions on Sunday, October 27th, 2019. Sign up here for a sitting between 8-11 am or from 3-6pm.
Photos will be taken in the lovely Bishop’s Garden at the Washington National Cathedral. All proceeds from sitting fees ($65 for a 10-minute mini session) will go directly to Shepherd Elementary. Prints can be ordered directly form Katie Jett Walls after the event. See price sheet here.
Shepherd Halloween Parade – Oct 31
Back by popular demand is the Halloween Parade. At 2:30 pm on Oct 31st, our students will parade around the block in costumes based on book characters and can be dismissed afterwards if their parents are present. No masks or weapons, please!
Local Information of Interest
Roundtable Discussion on Dyslexia – Monday, October 21st at 10 am in the Wilson Building (1350 Pennsylvania Ave, NW)
The DC Council will be holding its first ever hearing/roundtable on dyslexia and how it is – and should be – addressed by our public schools.
For more information on the hearing – and on dyslexia and how to address it – go to Decoding Dyslexia, DC’s new parent advocacy group on dyslexia: https://www.decodingdyslexiadc.org.
To sign up: bit.do/EducationHearings or call the Committee on Education at (202) 724-8061
Deadline for sign-up: Thursday, October 17th at 5 pm
Ward 3 Democrats – Tuesday, October 22nd at 7pm, Forest Hills of DC (4901 Connecticut Ave. NW)
The Ward 3 Democratic Committee is the official arm of the Democratic Party in Ward 3. The purpose of the Committee is to elect and support Democratic candidates for local and national office; and to provide an issues forum for Democratic voters in Ward 3 and the community.
Ward 3 Dems will host the Deputy Mayor of Education, Paul Kihn, and Chancellor of DC Public Schools, Lewis Ferebee to speak and answer questions.
Reminder of Upcoming Dates:
- October 15-19th – Book Fair
- Wednesday, October 16th – LSAT meeting – 4:30 pm
- Wednesday, October 16th – PTA meeting – 6:30 pm
- Friday, October 18th – All School Morning Meeting – 8:40 am
- Saturday, October 19th – Fall Fest – 12-4 pm
- Wednesday, October 23rd – Open House for Prospective Parents – 9-10 am
- Sunday, October 27th – Family Photo Shoot PTA Fundraiser
- Tuesday, October 29th – Blue 44 Restaurant Night
- Thursday, October 31st – SPCA Halloween Parade (lower field)
- Mon, November 4th and Tues, November 5th – NO SCHOOL
- Mon, November 11th – NO SCHOOL (Veteran’s Day)
- Tues, November 12th – Ward 3 Education Network meeting – 7 pm
- Wed, November 20th – LSAT meeting – 4:30 pm
- Wed, November 20th – PTA meeting – 6:30 pm