Shepherd Elementary School PTA needs your help!
We are just beginning the massive effort of planning and preparation for Shepherd’s 15th Annual Spring Gala and Auction. This year’s Gala will be held on May 4th, 2019, at The Atrium at Bobby Van’s Grill in Washington, DC. Historically, the Spring Gala has been the PTA’s best fundraiser of the year, and we hope to raise over $40,000 this year to support Shepherd’s academic and enrichment programs, which will benefit all students.
HOW CAN YOU GET INVOLVED?
There are so many ways you can participate to help us to throw a wonderful Gala and Auction. Here are a few suggestions:
• Assist your classroom parent(s) and contribute to classroom project and basket donations – information from your classroom parent should have been sent to you (if not, feel free to follow up with Caroline Smith at [email protected]
• Either provide or solicit donations of goods or services for the auction – do you have a special talent for cooking and can host a cooking party, a vacation home, access to tickets or a box for concerts or a game, or professional services to offer? If you have an item to donate or know a business owner you would like to solicit directly for event sponsorship or donation, please contact [email protected] to coordinate outreach
• Consider supporting the Gala as an official sponsor – rewards and recognition are available for various VIP ticketed sponsor levels and are on the event site below. Ticketed VIPs will receive early admission to a VIP-only reception, featuring open bar, passed hors d’oeuvres and entertainment
• Volunteer to be on the Gala Planning Committee or to assist on the night of the event – we need many hands working together to put on an event of this size and complexity
• Attend the event! Tickets are now on sale at https://events.handbid.com/auctions/sespta-spring-gala-2019. Early bird ticket price is $55 through March 15th, and $65 thereafter. You can also purchase “angel” tickets to cover the cost of Shepherd teacher/staff attendance at the event
• ALL OF THE ABOVE! We will graciously accept any help you can provide, no matter how small, and we guarantee you will have fun and feel good helping to make our Gala one to remember!
MARCH MADNESS BOX TOPS CONTEST!
For the four weeks of March, we will be counting the number of box tops submitted by each class. Each Monday, Ms. Brawley will announce who moves onto the next round. What if your class gets eliminated? Don’t worry! Once you are eliminated, you can still
collect box tops! Either put them in the mailbox on the front desk or donate them to the class that you’d like to see win the big dance!
To see the tournament bracket and figure out what “team” you are playing against in the first round, see the bulletin board posted in the multipurpose room!
So…bring in your Box Tops and help us raise some money! The winning class will receive a very special prize from Georgetown University!
Monthly Teacher Breakfast – Mon, March 11 – provided by 4th grade families
Due to holidays and parent-teacher conferences, our monthly teacher breakfast has moved to Mon, March 11. 4th grade families – it’s your time to host! See link to sign up and bring in something for all teachers and staff. Drop off in the Resource Center Room near the PK 3 wing.
Community Center Building meeting – Wed, March 13 at 6 pm
Please join the Department of Parks and Recreation (DPR), Department of General Services (DGS) and District of Columbia Public Schools (DCPS) on Wednesday, March 13th, 2019 for a community meeting and discussion of the Shepherd Park Community Center project.
The project architect will present an initial concept design based on the feedback we’ve received from the previous community meeting, feasibility study and discussions with DCPS and DPR program staff.
Restaurant Night – BLUE44 – Tues, March 19
Have Dinner and Support Shepherd Elementary School PTA! Bring a copy of this flyer to BLUE44 at 5507 Connecticut Ave NW, Wash, DC from 5PM – 10PM on TUESDAY, MARCH 19th BLUE44 will donate 20% of all orders placed with presentation of this flyer.
We encourage you to make advance reservations by calling 202-362-BLUE or emailing [email protected] Blue44-Flyer.docx
Shepherd Health and Wellness Fair – Fri, March 29 – 3:30-6:30 pm
Come see yoga, karate and dance demonstrations, hear about sleep and stress management, get blood pressure checks, refresh your CPR skills and trade gently used exercise equipment.
Other Important Dates
March 11 – Ward 3 Feeder Ed Network meeting at Tenleytown Library at 7 pm
March 11 – Teacher Breakfast by 4th grade families
March 13 – Community meeting on the Community Center Building in the Multipurpose – 6 pm
March 19 – Blue 22 Shepherd Restaurant Night
March 20 – PTA meeting at 6:30 pm
March 25 – Teacher Breakfast by Kinder families
March 29 – DC Council DCPS Budget Hearing
March 29 – Heath and Wellness Fair – 3:30-6:30 pm
April 4-5 – No School Days
April 8 – Ward 3 Feeder Ed Network meeting at 7 pm
April 15-19 – Spring Break/No School
April 24 – PTA meeting at 6:30 pm
April 26 – Academic Carnival
May 4 – 15th Annual Shepherd Auction and Gala at Bobby Van’s Grill
Shepherd Elementary School PTA needs your help!